Located in the former Maratea Superiore, also known as the prefecture of Castello, by the Florentine sculptor Bruno Innocenzi (Florence 1906-1986) and commanded by Count Stefano Rivetti of Valcervo, the statue was erected in 1965 on the summit of Monte San Biagio in the place where there was a memorial cross stone.
Second behind only the Christ of Corcovado in Rio de Janeiro, the statue of Maratea is 21 meters high, with an arm span of 19 meters and a face that measures 3 meters.
The statue was made of reinforced concrete covered with a mixture of cement and white Carrara marble.
Under the particular configuration of the face, the statue, a symbol of sailors, gives the impression of the look directed, contrary to reality, to the sea.
The lookout at the foot of the statue is the most panoramic point of the whole territory of Maratea with an exceptional view on the magic map of the coast.
The statue has a useful service space to reach the top of the building for maintenance, with scale, which is not suitable for tourism purposes.
The paved road to the summit of the mountain is very spectacular.
In summer, it is possible to park the car a few hundred meters from the summit to the Madonna della Pietà, where a shuttle service takes visitors to the Basilica of San Biagio and the statue of Christ.